It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where do you travel? ( or where do you want to? )
Post #1 Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:09 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Wife and I are packing for a trip to a town called Akumal on the Mexican coast, about 50 miles south of Cancun. It will include a side trip to Cozumel. We are going scuba diving, and we hope to see manta rays and maybe a whale shark or two.

Our long range plans are to visit Europe in the fall of 2012, buy a US-spec car there, drive it around for a few weeks, then have it shipped back to California. We hope to visit much of Germany, some of Sweden, Copenhagen, and Prauge. ( A Volvo C30 is currently the top candidate, a Mercedes C-class is a distant second unless they lower the price or make a hatchback. )

EDIT: As hinted in a post below, plans are interesting too. ( Maybe we get L19 couches? )

Post subject: Re: Where do you travel?
Post #2 Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:17 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Wow, your business must be treating you well ;)

Personally, I travel to Asia a lot. Japan is always nice - I have a lot of good memories in Sendai, in particular (it's very nostalgic every time I go, because it was my first trip abroad).

I also go to Korea around once a year to visit my in-laws. This year, my wife and I are planning on making (my first) non-Asia trip abroad. We're planning on visiting France, Germany, and Italy. We'll probably go in a few months.

Oh yeah, we went to Vegas a couple of weeks ago, but I don't think that counts :-p

Post #3 Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:10 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
[img]http://www.travelblog.org/VC/vc-anaubedaeienezfifrgmgrhuicitjajmlglolumpmtnlnonzpospswszukus.png[/img]

Note1: the granularity is country, I haven't been to e.g. Alaska. There are also some smaller countries like Antigua, which are not visible on the map.

Note2: I haven't actually visited Japan, only changed planes a couple of times.

Next is probably Thailand or Malesia.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:48 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 62
Going to a land far away called "St. Louis" at the end of May. I'm looking forward to mystical adventures. :P

I actually am heading to St. Louis to go see my sister, but for places a little farther away -- I'd really like to visit Thailand and Japan. Lived in Thailand for about 3.5 years and haven't had a chance to go back for quite a few years now. Planning a possible trip there in the summer of 2012 with my sisters. And I'd really like to visit Japan. I've been in the Tokyo/Narita airport almost too many times to count, but never actually been outside the airport there - so sad.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:53 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
I don't travel any more. I have no desire to step onto a plane again. Last time was to visit my daughter in Macedonia twelve years ago. In the past I have lived on three continents and seen a lot of the middle east and Mediterranean plus a few other countries. I have been in 47 states in the US, living in five of them and to Canada and Mexico. That is enough for me. These days a trip of more than one hundred miles from home is a rare event which happens no more than once or twice a year usually.

Post #6 Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:58 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
I've been to Ireland with my ex-wife for a Take That reformation concert :shock:

I've been to France for valentines, and Germany and Austria on work conferences.

Non-continental, I've been to Scotland lots, and Wales a couple of times, but those hardly count as they are in the UK.

Post #7 Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:20 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
Most of the time I don't leave the country, but when I do we usually go to the south of Spain. Occasionally, I've gone to France, China, and The Netherlands.

Post #8 Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:14 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 2
GD Posts: 21
KGS: Rafa
I dont travel much, even in my own country but when i was younger i visited Norway and England.

Post #9 Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:15 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
Uhhh, I love to travel!

I planed to visit Paris last year (which is not so far away) but like a week before the departure, the airline got broke. This year I'm aiming at some southern region for summerbreak; beach, sun and stuff.
Besides that, I only travel inbetween Austria and Germany (Berlin in summer) at the moment.

Next year, I hope to go to China and learn Go for about two months, so nothing fancy till then because I need to save my money ^^

In the far future I'd like to travel to Finland/Helsinki (maybe stay a day in Prague on the way) and then to Moscow and with the transsibiric-train (?) to Shanghai.

Places I love to visit (again): France, Scotland, Vietnam, Argentinia, Japan, South-Korea, Sweden, USA (Boston, New York, Seattle, Washington, Philadelphia...)

Post #10 Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:04 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 16
Was liked: 83
GD Posts: 156
I made it out to the middle of the Sonoran desert earlier this year driving down the Ruto Rio Sonora (main highway there apparently) to Banamichi, MX. And about 2 years ago pushed the car up to Calgary, AB. Haven't ever crossed an ocean yet though.

Bruce "NA-Wide traveler" Young

Post #11 Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:18 am 
Gosei

SoDesuNe wrote:
In the far future I'd like to travel to Finland/Helsinki (maybe stay a day in Prague on the way) and then to Moscow and with the transsibiric-train (?) to Shanghai.

Places I love to visit (again): France, Scotland, Vietnam, Argentinia, Japan, South-Korea, Sweden, USA (Boston, New York, Seattle, Washington, Philadelphia...)

If you are planning to come to Finland and would like some tips please send a PM.

Of your list Sweden strikes me as a bit odd. Perhaps that's just a Finnish-Swedish love-hate relationship.

Post #12 Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:54 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
Yeah, this is kind of sad, but most of my long-distance travel trips (outside the country) involved Go :lol:.

During my gap year, I went to London and did a bit of touring with a random German person I befriended in the hostel. However, the reason I looked forward to it wasn't the touring, but getting to participate in the London Open :P. Tournament results here (yay for being highest-placed kyu player :lol:): http://www.britgo.org/results/2006/london.html

Right after London, I went to Sweden with a British Go player I befriended in China...for a Go tournament and to meet with a Swedish Go player we befriended in China: http://goforbundet.se/iresultat/07/jusandan.php

Prior to these trips I also went to China (also for Go).

Regarding the best non-Go-related trip, it would have be my 2002 trip to Korea. Key words: "FIFA", "god run".

I've also visited many of the states, for reasons ranging from academic-related to vacation to Go (Congress).

Post #13 Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:57 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
GD Posts: 145
KGS: Tyson2011
i just got back from a trip to london, england; caen and paris, france; lucerne, switzerland; and rothenburg, heidelburg, and munich, germany...thats about the extent of where i've been...i havent really traveled much besides that

Post #14 Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:03 am 
Gosei

Tyson2011 wrote:
i just got back from a trip to london, england; caen and paris, france; lucerne, switzerland; and rothenburg, heidelburg, and munich, germany...thats about the extent of where i've been...i havent really traveled much besides that

That is a nice introduction to Europe.

Post #15 Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:23 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 1
GD Posts: 51
KGS: Shentar
I've never really done any traveling. I was born in England, but moved to the US before I was old enough to remember anything. As a kid every vacation my family ever took was to visit family in Maine, where I live now. I haven't taken a single vacation in my 16 years living in Maine. But that's about to change, I head out for China in about a month and a half. A go related trip, of course.

Post #16 Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:37 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
Araban wrote:
Yeah, this is kind of sad, but most of my long-distance travel trips (outside the country) involved Go :lol:.
Same here. China and Holland were both Go trips. :P

Post #17 Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:56 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 253
Was liked: 105
All my travelling to date has been with family, between Canada and NZ. I've also seen a bit of the US - SF and Hawaii / Kauai aside from Michigan.

Some friends and I have been talking about going on an OE - "Overseas Experience", which is where Oz/NZ'ers go to England where there are special laws that let us do some work, I think, and then go hazard a look at Europe from there.

One of my close friends is also moving (back) to Taiwan... When he is there I plan to visit him, eventually.

Pipe dream-wise, I'd like to Visit ruins in South America and Thailand, and go botanizing in New Caledonia.

Hm, thinking of that, I haven't even really explored Oz, and I'm right next to it :/

Being young and penniless, my travel strategies involve crashing friends'/family's couches instead of buying accomodation.

Post #18 Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:23 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 16
Was liked: 18
I arrived back from an absolutely radical trip to Japan about a month ago (was there for a month backpacking around).

I've been to the US three or four times (LA, Denver, New York) to visit my wife's family and friends.

I live in New Zealand so of course I've been to Australia...

Very much hoping to go to China next year to visit a friend of mine who's moving back there soon.

Post #19 Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:26 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
I've been to Germany's neighbouring countries except Poland and Czech Republic. Besides, I regularly travel to Indonesia which I like very much.

Post #20 Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:26 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 47
KGS: xDragon
me and my family traveled a lot around the country when i was growing up. been to all 50 states and to canada a few times. probably see a bit of europe with them too after i graduate college next summer.

after that i wanna live up north. probably somewhere rural in canada or alaska. ive been building a bit of cash for quite a while and hoping i could live off that for a while.

though seems like unlike most people i dont have much interest in traveling overseas. i guess the traveling wore me out when i was younger. these days i hardly travel, preferring to stay home when family goes on vacation.

This post by xDragon was liked by: averell