It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Reviews here, reviews elsewhere...
Post #101 Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:06 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 38
Correct, I used a bad example, sphere is better for sure, sorry about that.
While this may not always be directly equivalent to Go, I do believe that it can be. Ie learning that a move is "good" without understanding why may be a quicker way to advance than to learn all the more or less subtle reasons behind the fact.
The opposite, eg to learn Joseki without any understanding of the moves is as we all know bad, but I don't think it's a either/or situation in most cases.
"The position is low, so this side is not very interesting" or "this shape is strong" may be very hard to explain, but can be useful advice anyways.

/Mats

Post #102 Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:56 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
While we are at names, signatures and trustworthiness. (I for my part of course am affected by the name written under or above a written text, but I try in general to judge by style. You can usually tell people, who just present a polished surface with not much underneath, from those, who try to express genuine insights, even when they may struggle to express them.)

Whatever, I took a look on the page http://gobooks.nemir.org

Transparency:
There is literally no clue by whom this site is made, no names, no handles, despite many occurrences of "I intend", "I will" etc. in the explanatory pages. The domain is registered by "Nemir Nemiria" from Australia, a handle which may be telling to tech people, but I never heard it before in the online go world, although reverse whois indicates he/she holds other domains like goteacher.org / goteachers.org as well. The only tangible information on Nemir seems to be this page on SL: http://senseis.xmp.net/?Nemir.

Reviews:
The half dozen book reviews I looked at randomly are all taken from David Carlton's homepage in plain text, other reviews are sponsored by AGA. Both with permission. As no link to the original is given, it is, however, not clear to readers how many reviews on the page are genuinely sponsored by gobooks.nemir.org contributors and how much are aggregated from elsewhere.

Design:
Standardized and well ordered, book pages always include a cover scan, blurb, table of contents and publisher data, but reviews are far from assured, and if there is one. it is most often the one by David Carlton himself.

Activity:
The page seems to be rather inactive since 2008.

Post #103 Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:27 am 
Lives with ko

Wow, funny Nemir/varios names ending with hippo...
I'm pretty sure I know this guy, I'll ask.

/Mats

Post #104 Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:26 pm 
Lives in sente

mohsart wrote:

/Mats

It is kind of sad how many individual initiatives go nowhere because of a lack of collaboration in the go scene. Gobooks really looks like the work of a single enthusiast with not much people joining in for the project to take off.

Any other places where worthwile go book reviews linger? Nexik's blog has some, but I am usually not following the other blogs. Any takers?

Post #105 Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:56 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 62
(Begin Message)
It’s true that the main topic of this thread is regarding where to store book reviews - but a bulk of this thread’s comments and actual discussion have been about signed contributions. How can we trust that a contribution has not been edited since it was signed? How do we know this particular signed contribution was not created by an impostor? Is there development work that could be done at a given website that could somehow improve the “signed contribution” functionality, perhaps by improving its trustworthiness?

Well, I am very surprised that no one has brought up the topic of “digital signatures” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signature). I’ll say a few words in this regard, just so that anyone who feels strongly about the issue of signatures or signed content knows this is one workable solution. They can do their own research into the topic if they so desire.

A hopefully brief crash course: What is a digital signature? Digital signatures has it’s roots in cryptography and encryption, so lets begin there. Everyone has at least some vague concept of how encryption works. There’s some data that’s been scrambled and we can’t read it without “the key”. In one particular model, there are actually two keys. One key is my “private key”, that I don’t share with anyone. Another key is my “public key” - that I share at least one other person. Any message encrypted with my private key can be decrypted by someone with my public key. The most obvious application of encryption is keeping secrets. Only someone with my public key can read the message. But, there are some neat side effects that fall out of the math. For example, if my public key decrypts a message, you can be sure that only my private key could have encrypted it. In other words, if you can trust that I haven’t shared my private key with anyone else, you can be sure the message came from me - and me alone. Also, you can be sure that if my public key decrypts the message, the message has not been altered since I encrypted it.

So, what’s a digital signature? It’s a method of using encryption to achieve those last two side effects (guaranteed authorship, guaranteed message integrity) without any messy scrambling of the message itself. The message itself remains readable to anyone and everyone. But anyone with my public key can also go one step further and verify that the message was digitally signed using my private key. Now if I choose to share my public key with everyone (say, for example, by posting it on my personal website), now anyone with a little bit of free time can verify my digital signature to ensure a message, or book review, or any data both came from me, and has not been altered.

The fun part is, digital signatures can work anywhere that I am allowed to write a message. We don’t have to do extra work to support them.

I’ll be signing this message, and providing a public key just as a small demonstration.
The commands I used to generate this can be found on the following website:
http://www.madboa.com/geek/openssl/#key-rsa
(End Message)

-----BEGIN PUBLIC KEY-----
MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQDhIJl1olKMD8q9mKhe3UJDgARR
mkP8YJs4R8HKVMvC2VJ49SjdDs4t/qyp0FUHmqfebxWspgh31ufblO8OaB2c0s6a
4h2i4/g/DYFLwubUSX9ahYHnQdQcmI5Wru/TBvEcLcW7TgOdgHddZVDtdN8wkX7f
1x9FMKpPz5Loedg3uwIDAQAB
-----END PUBLIC KEY-----

--- BEGIN SHA1 digital signature (as hexdump)---
1b 31 da 80 ca 22 03 40 94 8a 65 1e ba 1d aa 30
df 56 77 72 8c 32 67 a3 47 53 27 62 54 7a 8b 97
5f cd f8 88 a6 ae 0b 24 9c b8 d5 99 b1 ea 0f 59
85 6a 66 6e ac f2 a0 59 2c 0e c8 33 c8 c2 17 e5
76 e0 bc e0 cc 98 ab 3f 5c f6 5e 8b 99 dc ba 3e
41 6d 9a 0e bd 6f f5 ff f3 f0 57 d2 68 cb e3 04
1b 5b e5 b9 06 6c 03 1c e3 4e a1 8c 70 be b3 0c
c1 d4 54 a9 42 96 74 86 b4 42 de e3 ae 84 04 9c
--- END SHA1 digital signature ---

A couple last things, lets assume ascii encoding for this post. Also the public key given here is not necessarily my authoritative public key, just one I generated for use in this post. Finally, I am not an expert on this subject, but hopefully this rough outline of the topic is still accurate enough to be of some use or interest.

Post #106 Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:09 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
rubin427 wrote:

A hopefully brief crash course:

Very interesting, thanks. Can you explain the steps I need to take to verify that you are the author?

Post #107 Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:05 pm 
Lives in gote

daal wrote:
rubin427 wrote:

A hopefully brief crash course:

Very interesting, thanks. Can you explain the steps I need to take to verify that you are the author?

Sure.

Part one: Tools

First, you need to have a command line tool on your computer called openssl. If you are running a recent linux or mac OS X, then you already have it. On windows, I suspect you may not have it. The first thing I would try is the instructions on this page.

http://www.openssl.org/related/binaries.html

Second, you will also need a hex-editor. If you aren't fimiliar with hex-editors, look at the picture on the wikipedia article. The left-most column shows the line offset, you can ignore it. The right most column is an attempt to render the data as ASCII text. Everything in between these two is where you can actually type in data, byte by byte. Data is represented using numbers 0-9 and letters A-F (i.e. Hexadecimal).

On dos/windows of long ago, there was a hex-editor called hexedit.exe. It may still be distributed with windows, but it must be launched from the command line. Hex editors are a favorite first project for many Computer Science students. So, generally speaking you can find one for free.

Part two: Gathering the files

We need to put together three files from the post. There will be files for: 1) the message data, 2) the public key, and 3) the digital signature.

For the message data, open a text editor (notepad on windows, nano on linux/OS X). Copy the message text of my post beginning at "It’s true that" and ending at "geek/openssl/#key-rsa". Paste this into the file and save the file as "message.txt".

For the public key, open your text editor again, Copy the public key from my post starting at "-----BEGIN PUBLIC KEY-----" and ending at "-----END PUBLIC KEY-----". Save the file as "test_public.pem".

Finally, for the digital signature, we have to use the hex editor. Open the Hex editor and copy from my post start at "1b 31" and endting at "04 9c". Paste it in and save the file as "message.txt.sha1".

For your reference, I have provided a copy of the three files. You can use them to compare to your files if something goes wrong. Any time you edit the a "sha1", you should use the hex editor.

message.txt
test_public.pem
message.txt.sha1

Part Three: Command to verify the signature
Code:
  openssl dgst -sha1 -verify test_public.pem -signature message.txt.sha1 message.txt

Verified OK

That's it.

Closing thoughts

If you visit the site I mentioned before, (http://www.madboa.com/geek/openssl/#key-rsa) there are four entries of particular interest.

"How do I generate an RSA key?" shows the steps I used to generate a private key for this example.
"How do I generate a public RSA key?" shows the steps I used to generate the public key - given the private key as input.
"How do I sign a digest?" show how to make a new digital signature.
"How do I verify a signed digest?" shows how to verify a digital signature.

So, my purpose here is to demonstrate the concept. People get really geeky about public/private key encryption, and I really am a novice. For example, I know that there is a whole network of servers on the internet whose whole purpose is to associate a person's e-mail with their public key. I know that lots of people chose to use either "pgp" or "gpg" for the encryption rather than openssl as I have in this example. Also, people really get picky about what algorithm they like. I just picked any old thing (sha1). Finally - and probably most important - If you decide to dive in and start using public-private key encryption, make an effort to understand how secure the private key you've generated is. There are so many options you can tweak when you make a new private key, and they each can have a big effect on the overall security.

Post #108 Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:38 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 117
Was liked: 31
KGS: Bray
Requiring a hex editor to check a signed message seems wrong, both technically and in the sense that no one is ever going to do that. There are easier tools that get the job done. I'll explain briefly with GnuPG, which is roughly the free version of PGP.

1. Install GnuPG. I use OS X and homebrew for a package manager, but you can substitute the appropriate commands for your system.

$ brew install gnupg

2. You need the user's public key. This is a topic unto its own, but for the sake of this demo, here's my public key.

$ gpg --armor --export my_key_name

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (Darwin)
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=Z3FQ
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----

You save that to a file, like "bray.gpg" and then import the key to your local gpg.

$ gpg --import bray.gpg

2. Copy my signed message into a file. Example: Save the following (including the BEGIN and END lines) as "msg.txt.asc".

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hai there.
Bray really wrote this.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (Darwin)

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJNYU9cAAoJEMEFyfsDarT+87EH/ih6IVlBCKZ5m+OYbM0mA31I
xfqouEozLCBm5ikR83B91KawwCg1j8FbJcVSSS3nmClHu4GphKHErBxjHUMuHJjG
jLNr8otG4cNnhQU8K/5R5J3F9ZyZQ2FQ5NntwI9bqUtpJLUMDR3qgryogFCmVZWc
QRPHZpRFGLaupI1c+Vx6T0Z9KjDn35UsDvwrxvIKomq5LkoMmBs/MVOEembJY3Rx
8medCsjeH91sADcTQ9F8MSIYscBl5kEs9PfA4W82l0PibCcn1BufHbjSOyasR4tw
qu8UMenTEVOGCHuK84GTLZyi5PlxEZnEDdrhva4nEA0Am00mkglGcyPWh4Wo5O8=
=ca8g
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

3. Verify.

$ gpg --verify msg.txt.asc
gpg: Signature made Sun Feb 20 11:29:00 2011 CST using RSA key ID 036AB4FE
gpg: Good signature from "James Ludlow (JDL) <email>"

This post by jdl was liked by: rubin427

Post #109 Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:07 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: nemir
tapir wrote:
mohsart wrote:

/Mats

It is kind of sad how many individual initiatives go nowhere because of a lack of collaboration in the go scene. Gobooks really looks like the work of a single enthusiast with not much people joining in for the project to take off.

Any other places where worthwile go book reviews linger? Nexik's blog has some, but I am usually not following the other blogs. Any takers?

Thanks for the honest critique of my site.

You've fairly accurately surmised the basic tale of it.

One thing I have noticed from reading through this thread is that I need to make sure that I update the front page's datestamp whenever I update any page within the site, rather than just when I update the front page. The last update on the site was last midwinter, so around a year back.

I started the project in a blaze of enthusiasm and energy when I noticed that David Carlton wasn't doing anything with his page anymore.

As seems to be the case with these ideas, it took literally ten times longer than I thought it would to get everything together, from the layout, the underlying engine, the search applet, et. al. One thing that I really really underestimated was just how long it takes to extract all the information I put up about each title from each book. The wraparound cover scans have to be done by hand, and then manually straightened and edited. Then I actually physically measure each book for dimensions, transcribe the blurb and all other data.

Once I'd done that, I contacted David Carlton seeking permission to use his reviews. I was hoping that he'd be okay with the idea of someone picking up his baton, so to speak. At first he was reluctant but after some consideration granted me permission to publish his reviews, for which I was very very grateful. A bit of discussion with the AGA secured permission to republish their reviews as well.

From there, things started to get a little deflating. I still think that the site has the most book reviews in one place on the net, but no other site administrator I approached gave permission for me to republish their reviews. Sometimes the responses I got from requests that I felt were very open and friendly and clearly in the spirit of creating something that is for the benefit of the go community were quite abrupt. I do have a reasonably think skin and I understand that there are some funny fellows in the go community so such communications were never taken personally, but it did make me question whether the go community at large was even interested in the site, or if they'd rather just get whatever they could from SL and that was good enough. And the cost of this site is not insignificant when you add up the time and lucre tracking down and acquiring all the titles, and then the hours upon hours processing them...

There were other little things that all added up to being increasingly demoralising. I've received only 2 unsolicited reviews in the 5 years since the site went live. Anywhere I'd mention it people would just seem to talk louder about David's site. Or places like GD or SL. Mentioning it in KGS would get me spanked for advertising, despite the fact that I don't sell anything or in any way make money from this site. I don't even have banner ads. Keeping up with titles can be difficult.

Then real life also got complicated and time consuming. Who'd have guessed that might happen?? ;-)

A couple of times recently I've been come across complete strangers recommending my site, which makes me feel better about it. I have a stack of titles that I was going to process and add to the site over christmas, but personal issues and the deflation of motivation combined to see that it did not come to pass. Perhaps this thread might be the kick in the proverbial I need to get them processed, and then to order in the next stack.

As to the transparency... I am Nemir. Just some schmo who discovered the game too late in life to become a significantly strong player, so I chose this as my contribution to the community. What sort of validation do you want? Whatever it is, I am certain I can't provide it. Sorry. That's prt of the reason I've not personally reviewed many books; I am not sure I can do a great job at that. Reviews are all published with the author's byline, including as much personal info as said author is willing to publish on the internet in the google age. Is that not enough?

I still think it's the best go books site on the net. I am under no illusion that it could be better, but not sure how to get it to the next level. I love that Mats from mohsart finds it very useful for him as vendor, for example.

A question for anyone, but especially directed at John Fairburn who is asking for Kirby to step into this breach (and Kirby himself, I guess!):

What is missing from http://gobooks.nemir.org to make it work better as a resource for the go community?

What can I do to make it better?

In an ideal world, what do you want?

And on a different tack... who do I contact here to obtain permission to republish reviews here? Who can I contact to try to arrange for permission to republish the BGA reviews?

Cheers!

Nemir

Post #110 Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:30 pm 
Lives in gote

jdl wrote:
There are easier tools that get the job done.

Useful, thank you.

This post by rubin427 was liked by: jdl

Post #111 Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:02 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
nemir wrote:
What can I do to make it better?

In an ideal world, what do you want?

And on a different tack... who do I contact here to obtain permission to republish reviews here? ...
Cheers!

Nemir

Nemir, welcome to L19! Posting here and making yourself and your website visible in the go community is an excellent step that hopefully will lead to more input and perhaps even some collaboration. For a start, I have posted two reviews here (Winning Go and Catching Scent of Victory), and you are welcome to add them to your attractive site. As to republishing reviews that have appeared on L19, maybe you can contact the authors, or better yet, maybe they can contact you.

Post #112 Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:26 am 
Lives in gote

nemir,

you could take out a "community advertisement" for your book review site at sensei's library. I believe it's free if you provide the graphic.

http://senseis.xmp.net/?CommunityAdvertisementsOnSL
http://senseis.xmp.net/?listads=1

Post #113 Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:01 am 
Lives in sente

nemir wrote:
What is missing from http://gobooks.nemir.org to make it work better as a resource for the go community?

* Add links to the original reviews, even when taken with permission this is helpful. This gives some perspective and also reveals which reviews are genuinely contributed on gobooks.nemir.org (that is merit to be linked to from elsewhere, gobooks is not the only aggregating site after all).
* Write at least once "Nemir" in the introduction instead of only I.
* Some indication for which books you have reviews for which you have not - given before you click your way through to the review section of the individual book.

Post #114 Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:38 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
nemir wrote:

I have used this site twice now to extend my Go book wishlist (i.e. I already feel this site offers a lot, it's great :)). If I was to offer constructive feedback, it would be to:

a) Have keywords of the sorts of topics each book looks at (including multiple keywords for books with overlap).
b) Have an ability to sort by strength (aimed at), reviews, alphabet etc.

Sometimes I'd really like to be able to say "give me a list of Sabaki books, ordered with the highest level at the top, with unknown level in their own little group" (at the bottom is fine, but divided is important to not imply they are aimed at beginners), and then browse through the returns. At the moment I'm having to go through every title in no clear order. That's fine, as I'm beginning to own a decent amount of books I can skip over, and there aren't that many Go books, but is strikes me as a tool that would make it even more useful to me :)

Post #115 Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:22 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
A question for anyone, but especially directed at John Fairburn who is asking for Kirby to step into this breach (and Kirby himself, I guess!):

I'm not sure anything is missing from the site, although paying attention to spelling names right can help with searches :)

This site does all that's needed so Kirby can stop hiding under the bed.

Costs can be alleviated by contacting publishers. Free copies are usually available to reviewers. Contacting publishers as a one-stop shop for various permissions also saves time - they rather than the author usually have the say over advertising.

I'm willing for my reviews here to be posted there (I object to SL on the grounds it removes copyright and allows outside interference), but do note that some reviews depend on a context here (e.g. my Cho Chikun one).

The only major extra needed is something outside the site: a higher profile. I had never heard of the site before, and I'm fairly plugged in to the go scene. The mountain will not come to you, so you have to get your Alpenstock and go prodding the mountain. Don't be shy of regular posting here. Get a page on SL. A couple of minor items to add may be a box listing the latest reviews added, and a note on which books are lacking reviews.

SITE MANAGERS ELSEWHERE - PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THIS RESOURCE AND ADD IT TO YOUR LINKS

Post #116 Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:23 am 
Lives in sente

--> http://senseis.xmp.net/?GobooksNemirOrg

The community advertisement on SL is a good idea as well. Raises general awareness.

Post #117 Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:54 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I think there are a few things that could make the front page more engaging.

* Make the first paragraph a little more punchy.
* Something to engage people who are visiting the site without knowing what they want to see. John's suggestion of a new books or new reviews display seems good.

P.S. The date your review site was founded would be nice to have for SL, nemir.

Post #118 Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:17 am 
Lives with ko

Glad to see you here, Nemir :-)

What I miss with the website is mainly information, such as missing titles, rank rekommendations, and of course reviews.
It would be nice to also have some fiction included (Hikaru no Go, The Girl Who Played Go, etc), but this is perhaps outside your intentions with the site...

I'm sure there are some people here who would be willing to help with the above; I'll start with a offer to scan some covers for you. I guess I have access to some titles that you don't own, yet. ;-)
A small, but still, way of "paying you back" for all the work you've put into the website. :-)

/Mats

Post #119 Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:35 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 103
Was liked: 39
For the BGA reviews the president Jon Diamond seems to be coordinating their online review section, you can find his email here.
Having said that, they have just started an online review section of their own, so may be less enthusiastic - I have no idea. (They can only say no, right? And you are non-profit.)

Post #120 Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:38 am 
Lives in sente

Stable wrote:
For the BGA reviews the president Jon Diamond seems to be coordinating their online review section, you can find his email here.
Having said that, they have just started an online review section of their own, so may be less enthusiastic - I have no idea. (They can only say no, right? And you are non-profit.)

On SL we, actually it was PeterHB, added links to the BGA reviews already. Aggregating must not necessarily happen by incorporation in a single place, we have hypertext, after all. (And to repeat, I would really encourage nemir to add a link to the original source, even where a complete reproduction is given.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next