It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What I hate about turn-based games is...
Post #1 Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:42 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 71
GD Posts: 175
... the possibility of ruining a nice game with a bad mistake because I happen to look at my opponents move after some glasses of wine.

Post subject: Re: What I hate about turn-based games is...
Post #2 Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:11 am 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
entropi wrote:
... the possibility of ruining a nice game with a bad mistake because I happen to look at my opponents move after some glasses of wine.

In my case, that is one thing I hate about (my) real-time on-line games. :blackeye:

Post #3 Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:36 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
A phrase that used to get passed around a lot on GoDiscussions (I can't say I've seen it as much here on L19) when describing turn based games was "Blitz in slow motion". Back when I played more on DGS that was a pretty apt description of my games...

This post by Mef was liked by 2 people: gogameguru, xed_over

Post #4 Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:14 am 
Lives in gote

ez4u wrote:
entropi wrote:

In my case, that is one thing I hate about (my) real-time on-line games. :blackeye:

Hmm, but the difference is, the real-time game under the influence of wine tends to be crap anyway :)
Ruining a so far very nicely developing turn based game with just one wine-move is more of a pitty.

Mef wrote:
A phrase that used to get passed around a lot on GoDiscussions (I can't say I've seen it as much here on L19) when describing turn based games was "Blitz in slow motion". Back when I played more on DGS that was a pretty apt description of my games...

"Blitz in slow motion" is a nice description and used to apply to my OGS games. But since I switched to DGS, I cannot call my games there blitz. I mean, my moves still suck :oops: , but they are at least a bit more careful than blitz.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:33 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 139
Nobody's forcing you to play your next move after you've had three glasses of wine.

You can always download the SGF and look at it for a while and then play the move you want when you sober up.

Post #6 Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:43 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Fedya wrote:
Nobody's forcing you to play your next move after you've had three glasses of wine.
I think he knows that.

This post by hyperpape was liked by 2 people: entropi, maproom

Post #7 Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:23 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 353
Was liked: 107
GD Posts: 460
Too bad go is a turn based game. Maybe an alternaive would be to throw all black and white stones on the board at once and than count the territories :lol:

Post #8 Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:33 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
You can stop drinking altogether. In fact, this would be an interesting study. How do people play without any alcohol for a month and how with their respective normal consumption... how significant would the difference be.

But in turn based games the main problem for me was that I have to look at my mistakes for months. This absolutely freaks me out.

Post #9 Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:00 am 
Lives in gote

tapir wrote:
You can stop drinking altogether. In fact, this would be an interesting study. How do people play without any alcohol for a month and how with their respective normal consumption... how significant would the difference be.

Ouch, come on, I didn't say I am alcoholic, I just drunk a few glasses of champagne for celebrating my daughters birthday :lol:

Little alcohol would not effect ones play much, I suppose. But it can be an interesting study anyway.

Post #10 Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:49 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 183
Was liked: 100
Universal go server handle: hailthorn
tapir wrote:

But in turn based games the main problem for me was that I have to look at my mistakes for months. This absolutely freaks me out.

Actually, I used to be a sodaholic (and yeah, I'm aware that sounds hilarious), but I quit some time in September, and I noticed that it became easier for me to play Go. It became easier to think. And I read somewhere that that there's something in soda, I believe it's the caffiene but I'm not sure, that thwarts your ability to solve abstract puzzles.

And I believe it was only after I stopped drinking soda that I achieved 8k. Either way, it's something to consider.

Post #11 Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:03 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: fengitreon
what i dont like about it, is that is not so much popular as it should be, beacause is super exciting this way of playing and a very relaxing way to play deep games.

Post #12 Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:37 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
What I don't like about it is, that you cannot take longer breaks from playing (longer than the holiday rule permits). Shutting down one's activities until all matches are finished takes extremely long (unless you resign all your games or let the time run out).