It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NYC Go Center
Post #1 Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:16 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
Anyone ever been? The site hasn't been updated in years, apparently, but the place is just a few blocks from my office, so I'm thinking about dropping by.

Post subject: Re: NYC Go Center
Post #2 Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:18 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
I think there's a handful of people here who have been to there; but the person you'd want to ask for all the info would be Boris Bernadsky, who went by 'wessaneoctopus' on GD so hopefully he'll come here soon.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:53 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 46
That place is actually just a few blocks away from my house, so when I'm home I stop by when I can. Don't worry about the site, the center is still going strong, just be aware that fri/sat/sun nights are best.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:11 pm 
Lives in sente

Sweet - I'm so there when work eases up on me a little. Hopefully this weekend.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:15 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
You should go there soon. I've read somewhere else on this forum(I think someone posted news from the AGA minutes) that they were planning on selling it. :(

Post #6 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:43 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 62
Phelan wrote:
You should go there soon. I've read somewhere else on this forum(I think someone posted news from the AGA minutes) that they were planning on selling it. :(

Yeah, see the thread here: http://www.lifein19x19.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=113

Post #7 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:27 am 
Lives in sente

NYC can't support a Go center? Don't get me wrong, I live here and know that real estate is INSANE. But there are 8 million people in this city, and it has one of the most diverse populations in the world. I just now discovered the place.

Then again, renting a space at certain times (late afternoons/evenings/weekends) would probably make more sense in terms of cost. It'll never beat having a place to call your own, though.

Bummer.

Post #8 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:41 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Phelan wrote:

I suspect the Go Center will remain intact... The Nihon Kiin owns it (or at least partial ownership). Its the Nihon Kiin that's doing the selling.

Post #9 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:50 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
xed_over wrote:
Phelan wrote:

I suspect the Go Center will remain intact... The Nihon Kiin owns it (or at least partial ownership). Its the Nihon Kiin that's doing the selling.

I'm not following this logic. If the Nihon Kiin needs to sell it to remove debt, it's unlikely the Go Center will be able to afford to buy it from the Kiin. Someone else would then own the building and remove the Go Center.

Post #10 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:26 am 
Lives in sente

oren wrote:
xed_over wrote:
Phelan wrote:

I'm not following this logic. If the Nihon Kiin needs to sell it to remove debt, it's unlikely the Go Center will be able to afford to buy it from the Kiin. Someone else would then own the building and remove the Go Center.

At best, whoever buys it would rent it to the Nihon Kiin, depending on whether they're selling it for short-term capital or long term financial reasons, etc. Or the Go Center/Club could rent independent of the Nihon Kiin.

Post #11 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:14 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
judicata wrote:
At best, whoever buys it would rent it to the Nihon Kiin, depending on whether they're selling it for short-term capital or long term financial reasons, etc. Or the Go Center/Club could rent independent of the Nihon Kiin.

From what I've seen of Seattle Go Center finances, I just doubt that anyone buying the building would have any desire to have a rent low enough for the Go Center to afford it. Time will tell though.

Post #12 Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:54 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 12
Was liked: 31
GD Posts: 417
KGS: badukboris
Hey guys,

The go center is going stronger than before thanks to our managaer Vincent and to a group of players who are "Regulars" I strongly recommend you guys to drop in on tuesday nights, as we have formed a sort of post go party tradition.

Also about this closing business. It is unclear even to us. One thing you can be sure of, there will always be a New York Go Club, even if it moves to a different location. As I said previously, nothing is certain, and I dont work there anymore so I dont know all the details.

Post #13 Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:43 am 
Lives in sente

wessanenoctupus wrote:
Hey guys,

The go center is going stronger than before thanks to our managaer Vincent and to a group of players who are "Regulars" I strongly recommend you guys to drop in on tuesday nights, as we have formed a sort of post go party tradition.

Also about this closing business. It is unclear even to us. One thing you can be sure of, there will always be a New York Go Club, even if it moves to a different location. As I said previously, nothing is certain, and I dont work there anymore so I dont know all the details.

Thanks for the update. If we haven't met already, I'm sure we will soon.

Post #14 Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:16 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 46
Aaa I can't wait to get home for the summer and return to the center :mrgreen:

Post #15 Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:29 am 
Dies with sente

Hey guys a few things about this topic.

I spoke to Vincent the current manager of the Go Center. It seems that business is picking up, this year we have tripled our yearly members.

I stopped by a few times recently and its been a lot busier than I remember, a lot of beginners are coming on thursdays. A few of the beginners are already 10 kyus :)

And while the Go center is for sale, any money from this sale would be used to purchase a new location for the club. The manager mentioned that downtown, possibly west 4th street area (washington square park) is ideal. So come check it out, the club is going strong.

PS. This wednesday Tadashi Sasaki is playing simul games at teh go center, and its only 10 bucks to play!

Post #16 Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:45 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 123
GD Posts: 292
KGS: RedBeard
DGS: Akahige
wessanenoctupus wrote:
And while the Go center is for sale, any money from this sale would be used to purchase a new location for the club. The manager mentioned that downtown, possibly west 4th street area (washington square park) is ideal. So come check it out, the club is going strong.

Ahh, that's really good news! Thanks for the update.

Post #17 Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:23 am 
Dies with sente

in liu of recent events, we totally should have seen it coming...

retrospect sucks...