It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Think and Grow Old
Post #21 Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:59 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 290
Was liked: 342
GD Posts: 1000
Cho's All About Life and Death is structured according to shapes, similar to Davies Life and Death. Cho's book has more different shapes. Cho's book (two volumes) is available from Amazon, however, it is a print-on-demand type scan of the original and several reviewers have commented that the print is not beautifully clear as the original Ishi Press edition was. The Nihon Ki-in dictionary of Life and Death by CHo Chikun has been superseded by a new version by Cho U, which has a lot more information. It is usable even if you know no Japanese just by looking at the diagrams https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%9F%BA%E6%9 ... 4818205970

This post by gowan was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #22 Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:35 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 186
Was liked: 287
KGS: 1k
Universal go server handle: Callisto
Online playing schedule: When I can
gowan wrote:
Cho's All About Life and Death is structured according to shapes, similar to Davies Life and Death. Cho's book has more different shapes. Cho's book (two volumes) is available from Amazon, however, it is a print-on-demand type scan of the original and several reviewers have commented that the print is not beautifully clear as the original Ishi Press edition was. The Nihon Ki-in dictionary of Life and Death by CHo Chikun has been superseded by a new version by Cho U, which has a lot more information. It is usable even if you know no Japanese just by looking at the diagrams https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%9F%BA%E6%9 ... 4818205970

多分張栩の本買うかも知れないけどお金もちではないから決まる前にもう少し研究やりたいと思います。

If the Cho book is anything like the Tesuji dictionary by Yamashita, though, I'd be very tempted. I like the way lots of different techniques are systematically presented in that book. But, as I said above, money isn't as freely copious as it used to be so I have to think much more carefully about new purchases. It makes me sad, really, that while teaching English in Japan I was quite affluent and was able to buy lots of books and other things on a whim, but now that I'm doing something of much more value I'm having a much harder time getting paid (and here's a good time to mention that I have a lovely CD out on Amazon and all other reputable online retailers - plus a few less reputable ones - of beautiful compositions that will enrich your lives... :lol: ).

Ooh, I've just noticed that KGS has promoted me overnight to 2k. That's so sweet of it.

Post #23 Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:47 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 186
Was liked: 287
KGS: 1k
Universal go server handle: Callisto
Online playing schedule: When I can
There are certain things that make life worth living.

The music of Josquin, Beethoven's 9th Symphony, a child's smile, being in love, Earl Grey tea, BBC/HBO Versailles, the insanely Baroque prose of Aron Nimzowitsch...

And now I'm discovering what go is really all about. The aim of the game is to play well. It is very difficult indeed to play well, and there are myriad ways to play well, but the satisfaction from playing to the best of one's ability on any given day far transcends winning and losing.

This is why I've started playing and studying the game again. I have finally comprehended it after nearly twenty years. Learning a tesuji or L&D pattern is not about improving your win rate (which should be 50% anyway), nor about increasing your rank, but because learning a tesuji or L&D pattern is interesting all by itself.

Since my return, I have noticed that KGS has changed in one way: there's a lot more bad behaviour than there used to be, as far as I can see. A few years ago, escapers were few and far between - but it has happened to me quite a few times in the last few weeks. And fewer people greet you properly than before. If only they would understand that go is not a means to an end - it's an end in itself.

This post by Tami was liked by: fireproof

Post #24 Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:36 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 120
Was liked: 57
Universal go server handle: fireproof
Tami wrote:
The aim of the game is to play well.

That really resonates with me, and I thank you for the reminder!