All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Following Nakamura Sumire
Post #61 Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:46 am 
Judan

Liked others: 335
Was liked: 3137
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
For completeness of comparing like with like, here's Sumire's game with lz226 at 3300 playouts. Her big mistake hanging connect on right side did indeed go up to 20% in lz226 view. Interestingly with lz226's stronger analysis Oh Yujin's biggest mistake was almost as bad, -18% for q7 push: lz says it's much better to directly connect under at s6 because losing a liberty means if you do that next white gets b9 valuable move in sente for free, so Oh resisted that with the hane there first but then white got to capture that stone in sente for some nice eyeshape (as compensation black got more profit in the centre, and those cut weaknesses ended up eliciting Sumire's to make her biggest mistake, so on a human psychological level of making bad moves because you can predict it will encourage even worse moves from opponent maybe it was Oh Yujin's best move!). And in fact Sumire's prior move at r9 was almost as bad: p11 is better because it too is effectively sente for s6 but is much more useful on the outside fight for surrounding the 2 black stones.
Attachment:
sumire oh yujin lz 226 3300p.PNG
sumire oh yujin lz 226 3300p.PNG [ 171.21 KiB | Viewed 397 times ]

Post #62 Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:13 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 6
https://twitter.com/mainichi_igo/status ... 0389756928

We can expect a game on July, 8 against Tanaka Chieko 4p.

Post #63 Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:02 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 271
Was liked: 168
ez4u wrote:
I never thought I would be standing shoulder to shoulder with Canny Onion but...

Level unlocked :-)

ez4u wrote:
It really annoyed me that this is apparently the Nihon Ki'in view of the current state of Japanese Go - Iyama and... a ten-year-old child who hasn't won a game yet?!! So much for its 95 years of effort. :sad:

I don't see anything sad there, unless you want to read too much into it; I can think of message of encouragement for young kids to study Go and become pro, or message about "here are our strongest and newest members", etc.
Cheer up :-)

Post #64 Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:13 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 271
Was liked: 168
TheCannyOnion wrote:
sorin wrote:
From what the Korean pros said, namely that she is way stronger than equivalent Korean insei at the same age, I think would put her somewhere close to Euro pros.

What Korean pros? Their names? When did they say it? What was the context? Were these pros connected to Sumire, such as teaching at the Korean dojo that trained Sumire? Care to refer me to a source?

Sorry, I don't have the exact source now, but I remember reading this as part of the general news when she was introduced to the Go world. It was said by the pro leading the Korean school she studied at. Something similar was also repeated by the Japanese pros who tested her (Cho U and Iyama) - along the lines of "very hard to believe this is a 9-10 years old".