It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: AGA priorities
Post #21 Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:39 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 35
GD Posts: 265
KGS: jmp
IGS: jmpr
I am a big believer in if you can't do the little things right it's pretty hard to do the big things right. As a new volunteer I have been lucky to work with some cool people who care but I get the general sense that there is a leadership vacuum and new volunteers are almost on their own. It would be nice to have some sort of orientation document on how things work for new volunteers so they have some level of comfort.

I just got access to the webmaster account and nobody had answered email for four months. I know the position was vacant for a while but someone should have been checking the account (a certain 9D pro wanted some information undated, I don't think waiting months for a reply made us look good). It also appears that some of the email addresses listed on the web site are not being checked at all, again this is the little stuff that drives people crazy when dealing with the AGA. Maybe the short term focus should be on "thick moves" like making our organization base stronger before we attempt grand plans with weak shape. The day it doesn't take 3 months and 10 emails to get chapter listing information updated will be a day of progress.

This post by Yertle was liked by 5 people: daal, daniel_the_smith, Jedo, jts, xed_over

Post #22 Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:42 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 330
GD Posts: 1193
KGS: lavalamp
Tygem: imapenguin
IGS: lavalamp
OGS: daniel_the_smith
Summary so far, categorized in importance according to my whim:

Urgent problems:
* Improve "user experience"; leave people with a good feeling when they interact with the AGA (yertle).
* Fix interaction with volunteers (pwaldron: the volunteers I have spoken to after they left have had the universal feeling of being used. It's not a way to build an organization.)
* My interpretation: there's a perception that the AGA is incompetent/scatterbrained, which is quite possibly based in reality. My ideas for possible resolutions: don't overload volunteers. Redundant volunteers (don't have just a single person doing an important task). Public commitments/goals (so everyone knows who is trying to do what). Some form of rapid public recognition/feedback for completing tasks for the organization (e.g., karma on reddit). Place on the website for rapidly updating the status of the various AGA goals (so, say, you could look at the rating certificate project and find that it needs a volunteer). Please suggest more, I think the AGA needs to try and fix this right away.

Important:
* Go promotion/education (jts). (specific goals: tournament w/ prizes? --oren)

* Analyze (important because it affects future decisions):
** historical analysis of membership -- how long do people stay AGA members? Why do they leave? How long does their membership have to be expired before we're unlikely to see them renew? (pwaldron)
** analysis of whether online games should be included in the same ratings pool as face-to-face games (pwaldron)
** demographic analysis of AGA members -- to help attract sponsors interested in targetting a particular audience. (pwaldron)
** historical analysis of whether youth players remain AGA members after losing their youth subsidies -- with that information the board can decide whether the current youth efforts are working to provide long-term members to the AGA (pwaldron)

Useful and low-hanging fruit:
* Provide simple templates for less tech-savvy chapters to create their own webpages. The standard AGA chapter webpage would have a page for club information, a Google Maps link to the club meeting place, an announcement page and an online photo gallery. (pwaldron)
* TD training manual to allow an inexperienced but motivated player to run their own event. (pwaldron)
* Provide guidance/mentorship to new chapters. (hilltopgo, me)
* Create repository of teaching and publicity material on usgo.org to help chapters and teachers. (pwaldron)
* Put some money in a diplomacy slush fund. (Helel)
* Whatever the board decides, publicly announce it and let the membership hold us accountable. (me)

People who feel strongly should volunteer and take charge (i.e., not bad ideas but not organization-wide goals either):
* Hard-copy of e-journal stuff (Kirby, locoron).

Did I miss anything? Is there anything you want to add? I don't think all of this can be a goal at the same time; what do you think is the most important?

Other great pwaldron suggestions that aren't above and weren't mentioned in the board meeting. maybe for next year:
Quote:
Membership services
ii) 'dating website' type interface to allow isolated players to find each other and start chapters

Chapter services
i) simplify method of updating chapter contact information (a common complaint) (might be done already, I need to check)

Tournaments
ii) annual online tournament open to all AGA members
iii) The results of all major AGA tournaments should be posted to usgo.org as a matter of course -- when I left the tournament coordinator position everything was done, but updates are much less common now.

Volunteers
i) a volunteer job board to help recruit and retain talent -- the volunteers I have spoken to after they left have had the universal feeling of being used. It's not a way to build an organization.

Communications
i) create repository of teaching and publicity material on usgo.org to help chapters and teachers
ii) create an asian studies curriculum for elementary school students with go as part of the program -- the Europeans have already done this; the AGA just needs to get the material from them.

Post #23 Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:10 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Publicizing the places where volunteers are needed is definitely important.

There are at least a few resources for a new TD available on the website. And there are teaching and publicity materials available as well. So people complaining about that should probably try and point out some of the ways we need to go beyond what's already available.

I am continually surprised by what's on the AGA website. Perhaps that's just me but perhaps there are ways to make finding things easier.

Post #24 Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:23 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 87
GD Posts: 111
daniel_the_smith wrote:
Place on the website for rapidly updating the status of the various AGA goals (so, say, you could look at the rating certificate project and find that it needs a volunteer).

Don't take this the wrong way...

Copulate. That. Detritus.

[edited due to TOS violations, wouldn't you miss my shining thoughts into aga's past insanity?"

Last edited by vash3g on Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #25 Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:25 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 8
KGS: Lisa
This is just a quick reply, but I thought I had something to add. In terms of the website, we are currently in the process of a major migration and updating a lot of the content, so I think that this is the perfect time to make suggestions about how the content might be organized differently and additional types of content that might be included.

That said, the migration project will take some time and is largely being done in a way that does not disrupt the use of the current website, so even the changes that we do make may not be instantly visible. (People who know more than I do should please correct me.)

Anyone who has any urgent issues should also feel free to send me a PM here or to email me (my email address is available from the AGA website, or you can use lisa.scott@usgo.org). I will try to keep up with this thread, but I trust that Daniel will do a better job of that than I.

Lisa

Post #26 Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:28 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 8
KGS: Lisa
Kirby wrote:
I know it probably won't happen, but I would still like hard-copy material (eg. a go magazine or newsletter in paper format).

It's more expensive than doing it electronically, so it probably isn't feasible. I would still like it, though.

There has been talk about making at least the Yearbook (now that it is only electronic) printable, through print-on-demand-type websites and at an extra cost. As far as I know, we decided that this was possible but did not actually set anything up. That said, if this is a popular idea we could probably get something set up in the relatively near future.

Lisa

Post #27 Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:32 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 176
GD Posts: 1072
daniel_the_smith wrote:
Other great pwaldron suggestions that aren't above and weren't mentioned in the board meeting. maybe for next year:

Does this imply that the topic was discussed at the Sept. board meeting? If so, what were the results?

Post #28 Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:32 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 62
vash3g wrote:
daniel_the_smith wrote:
Place on the website for rapidly updating the status of the various AGA goals (so, say, you could look at the rating certificate project and find that it needs a volunteer).

*cough*. That. *cough*.

my (likely flawed) interpretation: kindly use the wiki for that.

Post #29 Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:06 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 351
Was liked: 66
So, profanity is allowed on L19 now?

:scratch:

Post #30 Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:24 am 
Tengen

rubin427 wrote:
vash3g wrote:
daniel_the_smith wrote:

*cough*. That. *cough*.

That's probably the right place for it, but we'd also need to make sure that people can find it, which they can't right now.

Post #31 Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:01 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 60
GD Posts: 248
imabuddha wrote:

With no one posting, I suspect the admins are not being as vigilant - and Joaz - who tends to be on top of things during this time period, appears to be having a life at the moment, judging by his envy producing thread.

Post #32 Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:36 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 87
GD Posts: 111
hyperpape wrote:
rubin427 wrote:
daniel_the_smith wrote:

That's probably the right place for it, but we'd also need to make sure that people can find it, which they can't right now.

Let me explain: that stupid crap was going on for 6-7 years with no progress. pwaldron asked for help and got diddly squat from higher up in aga. since then also nothing has happened. just let it DIE DIE DIE. in a fire would be awesome.

Post #33 Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:48 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Horibe wrote:
imabuddha wrote:

With no one posting, I suspect the admins are not being as vigilant - and Joaz - who tends to be on top of things during this time period, appears to be having a life at the moment, judging by his envy producing thread.

[admin]

Contrary to the opinions of some of my detractors, I do not go about looking for things to censor. ;-) The most I do is to regularly glance at the list of reports. If it doesn't get reported, I and other admins may not see it.

There is an icon for reporting posts that are in violation of the TOS. It is the red exclaimation mark in the lower right of every post. Please use it in circumstances like this.

The posts that are clearly in violation of the TOS will be changed. If you wish to continue a discussion on the subject, please PM me or start a new thread in the 'Bugs and suggestions' forum. I'd like to keep this thread on topic.

EDIT: A few discrete gentlemanly coughs have been inserted in the appropriate places in posts #29 and #31.

[/admin]

Post #34 Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:37 pm 
Judan

Getting back on topic...

IMHO, the AGA's presentation in this thread is a bit too hopey-changey. I'd like to see some leadership. Sure, you need to know what the membership wants, but I think that they have offered enough suggestions so that action is possible.

I suggest:
1) Pick one thing that you think needs to be done.
2) Announce that you are going to do it.
3) Make sure that it is clearly defined so that there is no uncertainty about when it is complete. ( Think Karl Popper here )
4) Do it.
5) Tell the members that you have done it.

I think that this would help build the members' confidence tremendously.

BTW, the particular thing that you choose does not have to be the members' number one priority, nor does it have to be anything big. You just need public evidence of concrete progress. Once we see that, we'll cut you a lot of slack on the details.

Post #35 Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:18 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
I'd like to see the AGA President take on a more Dictatorial role. At the moment the president and board spend their time listening to people, and starting to do things, then changing their mind after somebody tells them they're wrong. Well lets face it, this isn't going to solve anything at all. I think the President should start ignoring everyone and just do whatever suits him. That's what the community wants and its what the community deserves.

Post #36 Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:38 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 330
GD Posts: 1193
KGS: lavalamp
Tygem: imapenguin
IGS: lavalamp
OGS: daniel_the_smith
I'm out of town on my phone, so no long responses right now. But I am still reading. Java, that would require a rewrite of the bylaws. Joaz, don't worry, I'll form my own agenda. I'd like it to be based in reality as much as possible, though.

Post subject:
Post #37 Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:38 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Javaness2 wrote:
I'd like to see the AGA President take on a more Dictatorial role.
Depending on the leader, this can be super good or it can be a complete disaster. This is now common sense, from human history.
Javaness2 wrote:
That's what the community wants and its what the community deserves.
Not exactly.

Post subject: Re:
Post #38 Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:33 pm 
Judan

Javaness2 wrote:
I'd like to see the AGA President take on a more Dictatorial role.

EdLee wrote:
Depending on the leader, this can be super good or it can be a complete disaster...

True. But 90% of that range of outcomes would be better than the uncertainties and ambiguities that we have now. And we can always vote for a new leader if the worst 10% does occur.

Post #39 Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:11 pm 
Tengen

Dictators can be indecisive and decisive people don't have to be dictatorial.

This post by hyperpape was liked by: jts

Post #40 Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:33 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 15
Was liked: 64
GD Posts: 2067
KGS: mgd
DGS: mdobbins
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
Getting back on topic...
IMHO, the AGA's presentation in this thread is a bit too hopey-changey. I'd like to see some leadership. Sure, you need to know what the membership wants, but I think that they have offered enough suggestions so that action is possible.

I suggest:
1) Pick one thing that you think needs to be done.
2) Announce that you are going to do it.
3) Make sure that it is clearly defined so that there is no uncertainty about when it is complete. ( Think Karl Popper here )
4) Do it.
5) Tell the members that you have done it.

I think that this would help build the members' confidence tremendously.

BTW, the particular thing that you choose does not have to be the members' number one priority, nor does it have to be anything big. You just need public evidence of concrete progress. Once we see that, we'll cut you a lot of slack on the details.

Yes, and Yes. You cannot solve all problems at once, progress is made in little steps. Success breeds success. So create a successful little step, and start building momentum, by completing 1 action quickly and moving on to the next action item.

A couple of things to remember while selecting the Action items:
1) Avoid NIH (Not Invented Here) but support external initiatives that meet a need and try to integrate them into your references pages and request features that will help our members. Here are established volunteers that you don't have to recruit, manage, etc. Don't ignore them, or duplicate their effort, or marginalize them in any way. They have already proven systems. Some that come to mind, forums (integrate with Lifein19x19, it looks like that is happening nicely so don't divert it with a sure to fail AGA initiative) and player location service (IgoLocal), Go servers (KGS can set up private AGA only room if you want, and many others like DGS, IGS and OGS.) Leverage, leverage, leverage, drop the ego desire to invent your own.

2) Look for what the AGA can uniquely bring to the Go Playing community. What is missing, where are the gaps, how can the AGA serve as an integrating agent for all the external initiatives that help the membership. This is the sweet spot for the AGA. Trying to own the all the Go action in the US is one reason the AGA has failed so miserably in getting anything done, trying to do everything you end up doing nothing. Learn from playing the game we are supporting, Go is a game of market share, so act like you are trying to share the market and find out what part you can handle.

3) Listen more than you talk. There are about 2 orders of magnitude between the leadership and the membership, so for any problem it is more likely you will find the answer in a member than a leader. What is unique for the leader is being in a position to integrate all that comes from the membership.

so lets get back to the topic...

This post by mdobbins was liked by: ez4u

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next