It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is Go losing popularity in Japan?
Post #1 Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:58 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 21
KGS: Rowen
Tygem: Kotaru
IGS: Rowen
I was just thinking of this the other day while watching Hikaru no go. Is the interest in this ancient game taking a back seat to other games like Shogi or Riichi Mahjong?

Now, I don't have hard evidence of this only speculation on my part. I'm a big fan of Anime and Manga. Other than Hikaru no go and Hoshizora no Karasu their have been no recent 'Lasting' manga/anime based on Go. At least that I am aware of.

However, Mahjong still has the ever continuing Saki series which is continuing with a live action adaptation. Shogi on the other hand has had March comes in like a lion and The Ryuo's work is never done.

Is this an indication of what's becoming more popular? Or could it be the reverse and they are trying to heighten interest in these games?

Again, this is just me thinking. Perhaps I just want another awesome anime like Hikaru no go to come along again.

So, what are your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Is Go losing popularity in Japan?
Post #2 Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:09 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Rowen wrote:
I was just thinking of this the other day while watching Hikaru no go. Is the interest in this ancient game taking a back seat to other games like Shogi or Riichi Mahjong?

It was 50 years ago. ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:19 pm 
Lives with ko

Bill Spight wrote:
Rowen wrote:

It was 50 years ago. ;)

Hehe, too true. I remember reading somewhere that Hikaru no go helped revitalized Go in Japan during its run.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:40 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
I think go has always been less popular in Japan than some other games, including shogi. That said, it is still way more popular in Japan than go is in any country in the West.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:32 pm 
Lives with ko

gowan wrote:
I think go has always been less popular in Japan than some other games, including shogi. That said, it is still way more popular in Japan than go is in any country in the West.

Agreed, too bad it isn't more mainstream like say, chess.

Post #6 Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:25 am 
Gosei

gowan wrote:

To exemplify this, consider how many go clubs (gokaisho) there are in Tokyo compared to any major city in the West. There are 77 go salons in Tokyo listed in the NTT telephone book. Other cities in Japan also have numerous go salons, e.g. Osaka has 51 and Kyoto has 20. New York City has 9 go clubs known to the AGA, Chicago has 3.

Post #7 Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:40 am 
Lives with ko

gowan wrote:
gowan wrote:

To exemplify this, consider how many go clubs (gokaisho) there are in Tokyo compared to any major city in the West. There are 77 go salons in Tokyo listed in the NTT telephone book. Other cities in Japan also have numerous go salons, e.g. Osaka has 51 and Kyoto has 20. New York City has 9 go clubs known to the AGA, Chicago has 3.

That a LOT! Point made lol.

Now if I could just start playing again. I want to so bad but freeze up every time I get ready to join a game. :sad:

Post #8 Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:23 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 228
Was liked: 84
Rowen wrote:
Now if I could just start playing again. I want to so bad but freeze up every time I get ready to join a game. :sad:

Then play against a computer until you get your head sorted. :tmbup:

Post #9 Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:53 am 
Gosei

Rowen wrote:
gowan wrote:
gowan wrote:

That a LOT! Point made lol.

Sometimes people "freeze up" like you say because they do not accept where they are with playing go. Afraid to lose, for example. In that case we have to realize that in general we will lose about as often as winning. as for making mistakes, we can't improve without playing and making mistakes. Every player makes mistakes, even the super AI players make mistakes. Some of them have trouble reading ladders :wow: I'd recommend playing with bots since they have no feelings, no sense of pride, no sense of how you played like a doofus, etc. If you play with them you'll, I hope, be able to lose any hangups about feeling inadequate as a player. After all the top AI players beat all the top human pros. I think we can take some heart from considering how the human pros behaved when computer programs beat them game after game. Instead of feeling too bad they started analyzing and studying the unfamiliar things the AI players do. I admire the pros because they don't put their self worth into the game the way a lot of amateurs do.