It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to WBaduk
Post #1 Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:28 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
I just registered after watching Battousai's recorded games for a couple of days and I'm already facing the first problem: I think, I set my rank way off ^^ I tried a couple of problems in the test room and I was able to solve... one out of ~12.

That really surprised me, because I intentionally set my rank half the strength I have on KGS (I had a little peek here: http://senseis.xmp.net/?RankWorldwideComparison).

So, now can someone tell me how strong people are on WBaduk or have I just play a few games and wait for my rank to settle? ^^

Post subject: Re: New to WBaduk
Post #2 Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:57 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
I don't think it applies for the entire rating spectrum, but the mid to high-dan level is very soft and, strictly from what I've observed and nothing more, is about 2-3 stones weaker than KGS dan players. It gets a bit murky at the top though, similar to the 9d players on Tygem. I would just play more games and wait to see what happens. If you set it too low, look on the bright side - you'll have a nicer-looking W-L record ;).

Post #3 Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:40 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
Are the WBaduk-Servers related to the real Go-world?

Like Japan 'weaker', China 'stronger' and Korea 'more militant'? ^^ What about WBaduk1?

Post #4 Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:11 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
SoDesuNe wrote:
Are the WBaduk-Servers related to the real Go-world?

Like Japan 'weaker', China 'stronger' and Korea 'more militant'? ^^ What about WBaduk1?

That's what I've heard and I can agree to from experience, but again all opinion no facts. WBaduk1 doesn't work for me for some reason.

Post #5 Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:34 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 24
Well as far as I remember the ranks around 15k - 5k were super hard. When I was 8k on KGS i wasnt even able to crush a 12k on cyberoro :(
From 5k up to 1k kyu the ranks are as strong as on kgs.

While in the early dan ranks, as araban mentioned, the ranks somehow are more soft. I recently ascended to 3dan on Oro and I think I can make 4dan in teh next days. My EGF Rank is weak shodan, on KGS I'm shodan too.

According to my experience there are no real rank differences between the servers (I was 3d on Kor1 and now on Jap1), but the players have from server to server a very different style of play. If you're very weak in punishing overplays you'll have some trouble on the korean server, if you play weak shapes the japanese players know how to beat you etc.

Anyway the reason why I really enjoy playing on wbaduk is that I'm not getting bugged from kgs-ringsounds, dozens of privat talks etc. ;)

Post #6 Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:56 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Jonas wrote:
Anyway the reason why I really enjoy playing on wbaduk is that I'm not getting bugged from kgs-ringsounds, dozens of privat talks etc. ;)

you know you can turn that off, right?

Post #7 Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:33 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 24
Ofc but then most of my kgs-friends would be angry because I dont answer there calls :X

Post #8 Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:34 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
SoDesuNe wrote:
I tried a couple of problems in the test room and I was able to solve... one out of ~12.

Don't worry about that. I play as a 3 dan on WBaduk but prefer to solve the 2-5 kyu tsumego there and i am still not solving them correctly all the time. Just pick out a bunch of problems that suits you and go through that. It has about no relation to the playing rank.

Regards Tapir

PS I guess people did not really read your question.

Post #9 Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:29 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 4
I just played my first two games there and I have to say the style there really struck me. I already knew that wbaduk player do not care about joseki and patterns but the players there really seem to be into pushing and crawling thus creating a whole board semeai.

After playing one game on the korea1 (win) and one game on the japan1 (loss) server I think I'll stick with the latter for the time being, although it was more difficult to get a game there.

Ps.: I registered as 2k.

Post #10 Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:32 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 1
GD Posts: 100
KGS: rouyakun
I registered there as 25k and tried playing. The korean server is strong and the japanese is just right as a 20k-ish but there are sometimes strong players. But I find it hard getting games on every server unless you're lucky someone requests a game.